Ahtuhquog Lodge 540
On August 12th and 13th, 1958, twenty Scouts and Scouters from the Potomac Council completed their ordeal at Camp Potomac under the guidance of Chimalus Lodge 242 of Washington, PA. These twenty became charter members of the lodge soon to be called Ahtuhquog. The lodge was in operational existence for one year before obtaining its first charter from the National office on August 26th, 1959.
The charter members chose the male deer as the lodge totem because of the native white tail deer found throughout the council area. The lodge name was formed by combining the Algonquin “Ahtuk” and the first syllable of “quogueenat”, resulting in the meaning “many deer”.
Ahtuhquog was originally a member of area 3-F with the lodges in western PA. During the 1960s the lodge’s active dance team won four Area championships and placed second four times. The lodge produced two Area Vice Chiefs and one Area Chief during its tenure in 3-F.
In 1973, Ahtuhquog became a charter member of section SE-1. The size prevented Ahtuhquog from hosting the section conclave at its small home camp, therefore a cooperative effort between the lodge and neighboring Shenshawpotoo Lodge 276 and the Shenandoah Area council led to the hosting of the 1981 Conclave at Camp Rock Enon in Gore, VA.
After becoming a member of NE-6 in 1982, Ahtuhquog hosted the first ever conclave at Camp Potomac in 1986. It also hosted the 1993 NE-6 Conclave. In 1997, Ahtuhquog became a member of Section NE-4B, and in 1999 and 2005 hosted a conclave at Camp Potomac. Ahtuhquog has continued to be a contributing member of section NE-4B, as well as the National Order of the Arrow.
The official site of Potomac Council (Ahtuhquog Lodge #540): http://www.bsa757.org/